Inspired by the Book Whisperer (aka Donalyn Miller) and the Interest-A-Lyzer by Joseph Renzulli, the Reader Interest Inventory lets educators or parents get to know more about a student with the bigger goal of helping them find books they will be excited to read.
Student’s Reader Interest Inventory
(adapted from Donalyn Miller’s Interest Inventory and Interest-a-lyzer by Joseph Renzulli)
Student Name: _______________________________________________________________
Teacher Name: ______________________ Grade: ___________Year:________________
1. Name the last 3 books you read.
2. Name your 3 favorite books that you’d take on a month long trip.
3. What are your favorite magazines or websites?
4. What is your favorite movie?
5. What TV shows do you like?
6. What video games or online games do you like to play?
7. What is your favorite activity or subject at school?
8. What is your least favorite activity or subject at school?
9. What are your hobbies or activities you like most outside of school?
10. What is your first choice about what to do when you have free time at home?
11. What kinds of things do you collect (or have collected in the past)?
12. If you could meet any literary character, who it would be? What is one question you’d ask that character?
13. If you could meet any person from history (living or dead), who would it be? What is one question you’d ask that person?
14. When I read, I like to: (circle one)
read one book read more than one book at a time
15. The number of books I have at home (circle one)
0-10 11-20 21-30 31-50 more than 50
16. I usually get new book ideas from (circle as many as applicable)
Teachers Librarians Friends Parents Siblings Online
Bookstore displays Looking at front/back cover Other________________________________
Download word doc version of Reader Interest Inventory from Bookopolis