Hosting a Mock Newbery Book Club in your school is as easy as 1, 2, 3…..
- Welcome all students–don’t limit to high readers! Choose 4th and 5th grades, or only 5th
- Find two adults to lead book club–librarians or teachers. We have found that having two leaders works best, for our students and for our adults!
- Hold informal weekly (or bi-weekly) meetings, September through January.
- Ask all book club members to come to four formal book club discussions, at lunch recess or after school (in September, November, and twice in January).
- Share books with readers–using bookmarks or stickers to highlight eligible books.
- Post Newbery criteria (we hang this poster) to facilitate short informal discussions.
- Ask students to write down their thoughts on book posters (see this poster from Fish in a Tree). Ask students to choose up to three books to nominate for final…
View original post 266 more words